OK, so who said blogs have to all be happy. I have something on my mind and I'd like to share it (even if no one ever reads it at least it's still off my chest).
Why does bullying happen? I've always been the type to "let things roll". If you don't like me for who I am that's your choice. Keep it to yourself and move on. Most of the time bullying happens when we're young because the underdeveloped adolescent minds don't know how to "let it roll". If you don't like something no one will force it on you (except school, you must do that). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but remember, everyone has one so they're a dime a dozen. Even adults will bully but we don't call it that once we've left high school. There are bigger, better words for people who like to think they are better than the rest. I'll keep them to myself.
What's bothering me today is the age of the middle schoolers. That is the roughest age we will ever go through. It's where we really discover who we are and what life is about. There are so many things changing and new things happening every day; it can make their waters so rough even "The Perfect Storm" look like a mini wave. I can tell you this now I HATED middle school.
Then you have the difference in sexes. The age they are at is where they really notice and if they hadn't before this they will be forced to by the other children who have. This is also where all the social cliques begin (which are not really any more than advanced methods of turning people away because they are "not like you"). It can be as little as not owning a miniskirt (yes that was one reason I was shunned in MS) to as large as you are not in the same money bracket as my family. Again, we're all entitled to our own beliefs and prides. I won't dispute that. But what ever happened to humanity? How come the parents aren't teaching their children that someone else's feelings matter just as much as their own. I think by pushing people away (or out of your group) you could really be pushing away the next Einstein (I'd bet you would want to say you were friends with him after he became famous).
I want to go back to the sexes topic. The world is really different for a boy than it is a girl. In general when a girl is bullied things stop before they escalate to physical contact. We're also not afraid to speak up because that's where we differ. Girls like to talk so when we speak up things can get worked out. But not so for a boy. If you speak up you will become beat up. What is wrong with the male mind?
No male bashing. That I won't do but what I just don't get is WHY? Why physical violence? Why can't you talk things out? Why can't you agree to disagree? Why can't you just "let it roll"? I'm sure I'm not posing any questions that haven't been asked before and I'm sure they'll never be answered (not in my lifetime).
I wish I could just lift my son right past the middle school age. I'm not trying to coddle him or over-protect him but I think with all the history and lessons the schools of today have about bullying that it shouldn't be an issue any more...for any child male or female.
Grow up young people, there will be worse things to come in your life after school that you'll be wishing you hadn't wasted your energy "back when you were a kid".
In the words of John Lennon- Give Peace a Chance
No comments:
Post a Comment